Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Purses with a purpose

A couple of weeks ago I was looking around online for a cute purse pattern. I needed to make a purse for someone and I wanted to find something easy and fun but actually nice enough that it will get used. 

While digging around for Ideas I came across this really cool organization, Sew Powerful. They send purses to girls in Africa so that they have a better chance of staying in school.  Since I needed another project I took on making some of these purses. 

This cute little polka dots and flowers number is the first one I made. And so far it is the only one I have made that will get sent to Sew Powerful. BUT I am making more for them to send, I swear.  

My sweet daughter was a little jealous that I was making purses for girls we don't know so sh wanted one for herself. 

I agree she has an easy life and does not need a purse. But I wanted her to feel special too, so I ended up making one for her. 

 It turned out so super cute! Without her digging through my fat quarters I would never have thought of using those small pieces all together to make one.

While I was not making one to get sent to the girls who need them, it was a good opportunity to work out the kinks of the pattern.

Easter is coming up this Sunday and I realized I did not have any gifts for my nieces. On Monday I dug through my stash to see if I could find some fabrics they would like and on Tuesday I popped them in the mail. 

I hope that my daughter and my nieces enjoy their purses. And I hope that they appreciate all the things and opportunities they have. I feel lucky that I have the resources and abilities to help other people. I hope that I am able to pass on to my girls (daughter, nieces, girl scouts, friends) that we need to stick together and do what we can to help each other. 


 Since I have now made 5 of these sweet little purses I have figured out the best ways to put them together and the best fabrics to use. So that the purses that get sent to Sew Powerful will be my best work.
Even if you can't sew a purse, you can help. You can make a donation or if you have fabric you need to get rid of, give it to me and I will make some purses on your behalf. 

Happy Sewing! 


1 comment:

  1. Love these fabric combos. Want to make these with my church group. Can you share any tips about the kinks you worked out? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete