Monday, January 31, 2011

Volunteering, makes me feel so WWII

It is strange to think that our country is currently at war. It does not affect most of us in our daily lives. I know it does not me, except that I do think about it for some reason. The only way that I have been able to come up with that I can help is to be a volunteer for Sew Much Comfort. Basically volunteers make clothing that is adapted for wounded soldiers.  It is not an easy project. It takes patience and exactness that I do not usually put into my sewing. This is part of why it took me so long to get into quilting because I think these same qualities are needed to quilt.

Must measure 7/8 of an inch.
But it has been good for me for two reasons. One I do need to learn to slow down and be exact a think things through once in a while. And two it makes me feel a little better about the world that there is this large group of women (and maybe men I am not sure) offering up their unique talent and their time to support these wounded soldiers. Since in fact we may not have all the freedoms and privileges that we do were it nor for their brave sacrifices and amazing effort. 


My goal for this year is to make at least one item for them per month. Yes it is the 31st and I am not quite finished with my January piece but I will be by the end of the day. If you think you are up for the challenge, go to their website and sign up to be a volunteer. You will need to submit a sample so that you can be approved as a volunteer and then you can do as many or a few as you have time to do. If this is not your thing, then think about what is and volunteer your time and effort that way.  I am not a religious person, but I do think that we are all we have got, we need to make more of an effort to help each other out.

Later today I have to take my computer into the shop. The built in camera is not working so they have to replace the whole laptop lid to replace it. Not sure how long it is going to take. Maybe it will encourage me to fire up the old desktop or maybe you won't hear from me for a few days. Not sure yet but, just in case.... I hope you have a great week!

Peace Out - C

No comments:

Post a Comment