Saturday, February 18, 2012

Now I know how to make panties.

I have been lazy about ye old blog this week. Not sure why? I was not really all that busy and actually did a lot on the sewing / artwork front this week.

First on Monday night I went to MAKE for the panty class. I have to say I love MAKE and I love even more that it is a 10 minute walk from my NYC apartment. This is one of the things I will miss when we leave NY. The class was taught by Laura Mehlinger of Lola Haze her lingerie company. She was super cute and sweet and had a very laid back approach to sewing and I am guessing life in general. Her things are beautiful and her website tells you where you can get them. I think once I loose a few more lbs I will buy something for myself as a treat.

The class was fun, the other students were pleasant and I left with a mostly finished pair of undies. Laura provided some stretch net for the body of the briefs as well as a patch of cotton for the crotch and elastic for the legs and waist.

Need to finish trimming out the seam allowances before these are finished.
I chose navy with a light blue elastic. But these are pretty much a practice garment, more of a technique / sample piece than a functioning pair. But they are still cute and tell me where I need to go from here in making my own undies. I am thinking of a high waist and slightly lower cut leg. (Laura - yours are lovely but I am not so tiny, need a little hold you in action that a high waist gives you).

I may have to make some custom undies for my skinny minnie daughter too, she always has a saggy rear but needs a larger size because she has very athletic thighs and needs larger leg openings. I am also going to use the techniques I learned to make us bathing suits this summer.

In other sewing news I got my dress further along, all that is left is to finish the inside (sew the lining to the zipper edge, add a hook and eye, etc...) and to hem the bottom. I could do all of this at home. Which I may do because I am thinking with my last three class sessions I will either make another dress for me? Or make the Divine Miss M a dress to match mine?

If you ignore the leggings and Uggs (yes they are sequins) the dress is looking awesome even if I do say so myself. 

Oh and have I mentioned that I got to meet Gertie! Of Gertie's New Blog for Better Sewing! She was working on a sewing project at The Sewing Studio and liked my dress. I would have gotten a picture with her but it was late in the day and we were both looking a little rough. Maybe I will get to see her again and have some photographic evidence.

I will admit that I was using a new technique to finish the shoulder / sleeve edges and it took the whole class session to successfully finish both sides! However now that I have done it I am confident I will be able to do it again and it will be easier next time.

As for my screen printing class well...... let's just say giant frustrating mess that deserves it's own post for me to complain discuss the issues there.

I am still feeling a little homesick, miss my friends, house, dishwasher etc.... But the sun in shining so I think we are going to go play in Central Park today.

Hope you are having a great day / start to your weekend!
 
Hugs - C

No comments:

Post a Comment