Friday, April 4, 2014

Summer Skirts Part 2

Here is Miss M modeling one of her new skirts that she wore to school yesterday. She managed to wear a long skirt, tank and cardi and not look like a tiny version of an old lady. This is actually a pretty good combination. Except the shoes of course but hey have to wear comfy shoes to school. And apparently we are going shoe shopping later.

She loved all the skirts I made her. Actually she LOVES this one and really really likes the other ones, to quote her more exactly.

Here is today's outfit. A little more casual and laid back. She said that since it is the day before spring break she wanted something "vacation-y". I think the flip flop T-shirt conveys a feeling of vacation. The palm trees help too. She wore sandals today since she does not have P.E., well I hope she doesn't who can keep all that crap straight?


This skirt was made using the same fleece pattern. I sewed this one on my regular old sewing machine. However I did sew all seams with a teeny tiny zig zag stitch. If you sew a stretch fabric with a straight stitch the stitches will break when the fabric tries to stretch. I could have used the serger but my serger needs a tune up and I was just not in the mood to fight with it. And this is the only one I cut out single layer. It was just too difficult to tame to do double layer.

The waistband of this skirt is simple exposed elastic. It is a cool blue and black stripe-y elastic, but solid colors look cute this way too.

To attach the waistband you just sew the elastic into a circle. Then you sew the elastic onto the skirt right sides together using a zig zag stitch and then flip up your elastic and wow you have a cute skirt!

More summer clothes are in the works! But next week is Spring Break so don't worry too much of you don't hear from me for a bit.

Hugs!
C

No comments:

Post a Comment