Thursday, September 9, 2010

One of my favorite shirts!


M5138, View B
This is the 3rd time that I have made this shirt. The first one was in June 2009 with my pal Deborah Moebes over at Whipstitch. As I have said before I have sewn off and on my entire life. I learned a little from my mom, a little from my Nana and a bunch from my Great Aunt Dell.

But Nana and Aunt Dell are gone and my mom doesn't sew any more so I sought out some classes to help me resolve a couple of issues that I had. The intro class and the patterns classes did just that. If you are in the Atlanta area and want to improve your skills you should check out the classes at Whipstitch, they are great.  In the interest of full disclosure I loved the place so much that I now own part of Whipstitch but Deborah is the founder, owns the majority and runs the shop.

 Made February 2010
I will not say that I know all there is to know about sewing. I have years until I get to that point. But I have made vast improvements over the past few years and feel very confident in my skills. Ok well zippers still scare me a little, but I am even conquering them. And I have been talking a local master tailor about taking some classes from him. But don't we all always have room for growth and improvement in our skills?

First time I made this shirt June 2009.

The first time I made this shirt I had to re-do the collar 4 times. I just was not getting the concept. It was just weird. But I finally got it and now I make things with collars all the time. I have a new 3/4 sleeve shirt cut right now and waiting to be put together. I will plan to do a collar construction tutorial for anyone interested.

 I don't have any pictures to post of the 2nd incarnation of this shirt. I made it with very low quality fabric. That is when I re-learned my much followed philosophy of life "you get what you pay for". It was a disaster. And is now one of the many items in Marion's dress up clothes bin.







I am still slugging through my awful to-do list, but crossing things off as I go. I have managed to get a little bit of sewing in. I am making a skirt from one of the Platinum Seamstress Challenge fabrics.

 You may recall that the fabric is straight from Japan and was only about 16.5 inches wide. But I had 4 meters of it. So I chopped it into panels and am making a skirt.

This is a fuzzy pic of the inside construction. More details soon on how I managed to do it without a pattern. One of my goals is to make things more often with patterns of my own design so I am working on that.

Hope you have a productive day! I am planning to myself.

Peace Out - C

No comments:

Post a Comment