Monday, April 30, 2012

Can you make a 3 foot doll?

I am sure that if you are a professional or even semi-professional at something you get lots of requests from people too. Like if you are a Dr. "hey could you look at this weird thing..."? Well I get lots of those type requests from people for me to sew them things. Some are cool and the people understand this is my job and are willing to pay me and then I say yes and I do them. Some are not cool and people want me to do stuff for them just because we are "friends" and then I say no. And I am getting better at saying no.

This most recent request was an easy yes. It is for a friend, but she is paying me and it is an interesting project. It is something I have never done before but feel capable of doing which is a great sabbatical project.

So where do you start on a project that is something totally new? I decided to comb the internet for ideas. Apparently in the late 70's (around the time I was born) the 3 foot doll was very in. There are lots of old patterns out there. And I decided that the size and shape that they provide would be a great starting point. So I ordered a vintage pattern on Etsy for $5.00 including shipping.


 The pattern came and I discovered it has never been cut and still has the original iron on faces in the envelope. I am not using the iron-ons but they were helpful for placement when I started on the face. She is a rag doll but I am very much modernizing her from this pattern. She will have a more modern face and hair. Additionally she will have much different clothes.

Here is the fabric I for the skin / body:

  Here is the color scheme for her clothes, hair and accessories:


And here is the beginnings of her face.

The pink mouth and the nose are paper place holders for the embroidery that will be done there. Also in this pic the hair is paper too. But the eyes are done.

I plan on getting lots of work done on her this week because I HAVE to get her shipped next week.  She will be a character in a children's play in Atlanta in June.

Hope you are having a great day!
HUGS Peace Out - C

No comments:

Post a Comment