Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Hipster Clutches

Hey Peeps.

I have to admit sometimes I completely forget that I am awesome! Then a day like today happens and I suddenly remember. And I feel compelled to tell you how awesome I am. Okay, where is this coming from after days of "no motivation" and sort of glum posts. I have no idea. Is it because the sun is shining? And I am beginning to think that there is a chance we will one day shake off winter? Maybe. But maybe it was just time.

A few weeks ago I ordered a box of upholstery scrapes, which I know seems crazy. Why would I buy someone's scraps when I generate so many I cannot figure out what to do with them? Well apparently I needed some inspiration. I needed a change of pace. So I busted out these scraps and made what I am calling the "Hipster Clutch"


These are the large version. There is a zipper and they are reversible, so two purses for the price of one.


These are the smaller version. All are fully lined and full of awesomeness.


This sassy side view lets you see the reversible-ness. So it is basically a really big zipper pouch that folds over either direction.

See here is one side.


And here is the other side.

It is a really simple design and is pretty "on-trend" I believe. These are not the things about this project that make me awesome. The thing that makes me awesome is that I made them. And making things is more than what I do it is so much a part of who I am that when I am not making things I get in a funk and I loose sight of who I am and what I want my life to be.

I am confident that I have my 10,000 hours plus some in on sewing now. However I need to remember that even with all that practice and it being so much a part of me, every now and then I need a re-set. Sometimes a fresh start comes out of no where and makes you take a new branch off the path you thought you were on.  I know you are saying crazy deep for a bunch of clutch purses. I know I know. I busted out 10 amazing clutches in about 4 hours, pretty awesome if you ask me.

Okay, so I made 11 but I am keeping the prototype for myself, seriously the lining was all jacked up. But the prototype is where I worked out all the bugs and figured out what I was doing. So even though it is not perfect I do love it. And one of these days I am going to keep my best work rather than the prototype, but I gotta make some money some how for now.

All this to say that these beauties where dropped off at HomeGrown Decatur today and will be displayed out in the shop soon. And if I get requests I would be willing to do a pattern and / or a tutorial. But you gotta ask nice.

Hope you are feeling your awesomeness today!!! And if not well... maybe tomorrow.

Peace Out - C

4 comments:

  1. I can so relate to this: not making things puts you in a funk. Every day I have to make something or else... I'm not very pleasant to be around. Even my daughters seem to totally understand! Although... I'm starting to think they're like this too.

    Very cute clutch, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! And, I am glad I am not the only one with this affliction.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ohhh wow... what is the price of this clutch bag Clutch Wallet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI! Sorry I missed you question, I have not been great about keeping up lately. They are 18.00, but I have them only at Home Grown in Decatur GA

      Delete